1. Open Microsoft Outlook and log in > Click File > Open & Export and then click Import/Export.
2. Select Export to File in the Import and Export Wizard and then click Next.
3. Click Outlook Data File (.pst) and then click Next > Choose Inbox as the folder to export, or expand Inbox and select the appropriate folder. Click Next.
4. If you need to backup Outlook to an external hard drive, then connect the external drive to your computer. Click Cancel if a dialog box appears on-screen.
5. Click Browse and select the external drive from the list of storage devices and then create a name for your backup file. Click OK.
6. Click Next > Finish.
To secure the messages, enter a password when prompted and then click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel.